Friday, February 13, 2009

Denim, tux, white tie, and Chucks




Well, not exactly. I got these embroidered, white leather Gucci sneakers from a thrift shop, which has recently moved to another location. (More on this soon.)

I wore them this morning, but changed the rest of my outfit for a little shoot this evening. Instead of tying the laces this way, I eased them from the top loops and tied the extra length round the shoes, as is now the fashion.




I wasn't really planning anything, but when I was fiddling around with my white cotton bow tie (no ready hooks!) while playing and rewinding YouTube clips on how to tie the impossible little things, somehow, I got it. (I bought the tie for a black-tie Vogue event, but I wasn't able to use it. I opted for a red, silk Gucci scarf instead.)

Since I was already wearing the tie over a short-sleeved blue and white polo shirt, I decided to try out a denim on denim combination. I put on this thrifted Gerani denim jacket, which was too loose, so I used a safety pin to fasten it, as what (I think) the stylist for the Fall 2009 show of Dries Van Noten did.




On hindsight, the jeans could have been darker and I could have worn black leather lace-ups or leather sneakers, but I think the top part of the outfit has it.




The jeans are good enough for this tuxedo coat I bought from a department store (it's actually priced almost the same as the cotton tie).




Better I think, if the shirt had a printed design similar to the Rorschach imprint left by the heat. No belt.




As an afterthought, and in line with my post on denim and layering, I put on the denim jacket on top of the tux coat.

Works well I think. Better even if my shirt had long sleeves so I could have rolled it under the coat. This time, black lace-ups would have been required, and maybe also a thin black leather belt. The jacket I'm now thinking I should alter for a slimmer fit.

Back to reality now and to the humidity returning this time of the year to Manila.

Night photos by Patricia Suzara

2 comments:

rico said...

Really nice blog. I'm an instant fan. Must ask you where you scored the tux jacket...keep it up

Miguel Paolo Celestial said...

Hey Rico. Thanks! Found it at Landmark, at their Perks store for just about PhP3,000. - Paolo