Saturday, June 6, 2009

Off to the shoe repair shop




I knew I should have brought this pair of Ballys to the shop after I bought them from a thrift store, since the soles had already suffered much wear. (Good thing the woven leather was still intact!)




Now the right shoe cries for help.




I have no choice but to part ways with them for a few days.




Same goes for these Helmut Lang sneakers I bought on sale.




The left shoe grumbles to be repaired.




I know they look like similar trainers by Hogan (with the patent H lettering), but I instantly fell in love with the fine layers of crumpled leather, which are even thinner than paper.

We shall meet again. Now you must be entrusted to able hands.





I will be bringing both pairs to Besa's in Glorietta, where the service has always been friendly. They have sometimes even given me discounts for multiple repairs, and since I have long been a customer.

I trust them with both my brand new and thrifted shoes. Plus leather bags, which they restore with saddle soap and polish, even if I bought them dusty and a little crusted from a thrift shop.

Though the service is a little more expensive than their competitor, they are more than worth it. A vintage addict's reliable friend!

3 comments:

-h said...

with a little tlc those shoes will be good as new and well worth it!!

REDD said...

~we have the same helmut's sneakers! - bought them 2nd hand from ebay. zara has sneaks with the same leather papery texture as well. now im eyeing to have the grafitti sneaks from LV.. so much costly though, tsk tsk! :)) i wonder when and where can i find them on thrift! lol.

Miguel Paolo Celestial said...

REDD: so how are your helmut langs doing? am afraid to ask how much you got them for, since they were still a little pricey after the discount. yeah, the stephen sprouse sneakers are something to look forward to.

H: definitely worth it!