Saturday, August 22, 2009

My latest fix: Authentic navy espadrilles

Espadrilles 01


It's been months seen I've wanted to buy espadrilles, but I just wasn't satisfied with the quality or the feel of the products being sold here. I think this purchase from Aldevinco in Davao City, in the country's southern region, is worth the wait.

Espadrilles 02


Nothing that I've seen here has the same combination of rope (I hope it's jute) and rubber, and though this pair may be less durable than what's available at Zara or similar retail chains, I would prefer these since they're closer to the traditional articles.

I presume cosido a mano calidad artesania means "hand-sewn, quality craftsmanship". My Spanish-speaking readers are free to correct me.

Espadrilles 03


I suppose this pair was made in Spain and just brought to Davao. If so, they would indeed be closer to the espadrilles worn in Catalonia from way back in the 14th century (so says Wiki). In any case, the feel of authenticity always adds to the experience — besides the fact that walking on rubber and rope is more comfortable than it looks.

Espadrilles 04


I've read about the difficulty with finding the right size for espadrilles. Since they are made from fabric, one is told to get something that fits smaller than snug to allow for the material to stretch. This has become a dilemma for my long-distance purchase. My mom had a size 37, but my toes were already half-folded, so I got a 38, which turns out a little loose, at least for one shoe.

I guess I will have to see. Won't be much of a problem since I have relatives in the south and the pair only cost me PhP650 (around US$13). What's more, I'm still thinking if I'll also get a black and/or brown pair.

I wore them out yesterday on another thrift shopping trip. Will tell you all about it tomorrow.

8 comments:

jddash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

why didn't you buy TOMS shoes, if you buy a pair, a child who doesn't have shoes get's one.

ego said...

nice espadrilles :)

Lego Biker said...

Yes, those are hand made in Spain (in La Rioja, for the sole used). My girldfriend carries them in her little store in Barcelona.
There are plenty of colours and finishes. Full rubber sole, half rubber sole, denim upper, printed upper, canvas, etc. I always have two or three pairs and I love them. When going to the beach or walking the streets of Barcelona in summer those are great shoes to use :D

rs said...

hi, do they have a website/online store for the espadrilles? i've been searching for these for a long time. i want the real ones, not the stylized and trendy espadrilles available in malls now. thanks. :)

Claudia said...

Hello,

I have bought Friday a pair of eespadrilles exactly like this one. I'm veeery excited about it!!! It was very very cheap - 2 romanian lei(50 eurocents).
I had a bad day on saturday...I went out with them and after a while the rain started...my pair of espadrilles got wet and I tought I could never wear theem again!When I got home I washed them with wather and put them on the radiator (heat radiator) but first I used the hairdryer a little. Today I wore them again..they are like new!
And as the author said, the sensation of walking on rubber and rope is very comfortable!

I love my navy espadrilles!

Janine said...

Havaianas Espadrilles also have a rubber and rope sole. I would recommend them!

Anonymous said...

There's one place in North America selling the real espadrilles hand made in la Rioja,

In Canada: http://www.espadrilles.ca
In USA: http://www.espadrillestore.com

The retail store is located in Montreal, Canada.

PS: TOMS are made with plastic in China, 60$ a pair, they are not espadrilles since the sole is not made of rope. The real traditional espadrilles are handmade in Spain or France, selling at 26$ a pair... your choice.