Monday, February 27, 2012

The Monocle Shop, Hong Kong

The-Monocle-Shop_01


Loaded these photos from Saturday on Sunday, but am writing about them now, early Monday morning. Back in Manila. The Monocle Shop in Wan Chai was one of the last places I visited in Hong Kong. It is near the edge of Wan Chai, nearer to the Admiralty MTR station.


The-Monocle-Shop_02


The shop/bureau bears the meticulous touch Tyler Brûlé brings to branding, since he is after all, also at the helm of Winkreative, a branding, design, and content consultancy.


The-Monocle-Shop_03


The-Monocle-Shop_04


Sold at the shop are back issues and the wide variety of product collaborations Monocle has done with different types of brands.


The-Monocle-Shop_05


I was most drawn to the leather items on display, like this Ganzo travel wallet.


The-Monocle-Shop_06


I swear, I remember seeing Monocle's first issue at Booksale. At Booksale! I thought it odd then, but certainly witty to have a flying cover story for the launch issue. I still regret not buying. It now sells for HKD1,200 at The Monocle Shop.


The-Monocle-Shop_07


A lamp and a notebook.


The-Monocle-Shop_08


Coin purses and stationery.


The-Monocle-Shop_09


A scented candle and matches. Of course I left my card. Chatted quite a bit with Juliet, who was at the shop. She even looked at my accessories online. Too bad I wasn't able to return. The bureau right behind the shop (separated only by a wooden sliding door) was so cozy, I could imagine plopping myself on the couch and reading a book.


The-Monocle-Shop_10


Soap by a collaboration woth Matsuyama.


The-Monocle-Shop_11


The clothes were gorgeous. The cuts used were deceptively simple, but the fabrics were top-notch.


The-Monocle-Shop_12


I was thinking about buying these leather cuerita slippers by a collaboration with La Portegna. Of course I was imagining wearing them outdoors.


The-Monocle-Shop_13


The-Monocle-Shop_14


Obligatory tourist pic, haha. Don't you just love the screened-in cement steps? Almost like a garage, or backyard.


The-Monocle-Shop_15


So they also sell prints and music.


The-Monocle-Shop_16


Jacket, 5cm
Polo shirt, Y-3
Belt, Brave Beltworks
Jeans, A.P.C.
Bag, Fred Perry
Boots, Dirk Bikkembergs
Scarf, thrifted


Cameo photos by Ricky Villabona



The-Monocle-Shop_17


This is the third time I've used my A.P.C.s. Still cringe at the thought of an entire year of not washing. Even so, I want more of the brand's raw denim!


The-Monocle-Shop_18


A.P.C.'s Petit Standard and New Cure version will surely fit better into my boots.


The-Monocle-Shop_19


After passing through the multiple fashion floors of Horizon Plaza at Ap Lei Chau, finally found myself a camera bag. Good since it has multiple compartments to separate my 60D from the rest of my stuff, and its leather seems sturdy.


The-Monocle-Shop_20


I'll see you again very very soon, I'm sure.


The-Monocle-Shop_21


Didn't buy any clothing or accessories, but I came home with three back issues, which sold for double the current one. (These are equivalent in price to new issues sold here in Manila.) Each magazine came in an envelope printed with patterns that I can imagine on neckties and scarves.


The-Monocle-Shop_22


The cute paper bag and the last night in my hotel room.

1 comment:

Ricky Villabona said...

I didn't know that I got snapped. Thanks!