Thursday, February 16, 2012

With new eyes

Cameo-021612_01


For the past few days, I've been dutifully reading the manual of my new Canon 60D. (I never bothered to read the one for my old G10.) True to form, I went to Wikipedia first to learn about the history and technicals of aperture, ISO, lenses, lens speed, etc. Naturally, it drove me nuts, just like school did. But I guess the obsessive in me can't resist.


Denim jacket, Rick Owens Drkshdw
Printed shirt, thrifted
Jeans, Armani Exchange
Belt, Brave Beltworks
Satchel, Young Camel, thrifted
Necklace, DIY from discarded G10 lens
Laceups, Marlboro Classics
Socks, Crocodile



Cameo-021612_02


So here is my first cameo with a new camera. As you can see, still lots of getting used to. But what I am more excited about is the experimentation that I can now do.

I imagine this is the image you'll get when you squint: fuzzy and off-focus. Exactly how I see things during each life transition. But the good thing about it is that vision gets much clearer after.


Cameo-021612_03


Don't ask me about that peeping single collar. It was an accident when I buttoned up the jacket. Looks funny in an interesting way, like one of my canines before I got braces. At least it is balanced by the one-sided collar button.


Cameo-021612_04


For the past few weeks, I have also been conceptualizing new Bosquejo necklace designs for the various collections. I've been alternating this with revising old poems about the city.

Rewriting can get hard and tedious, since it is not easy to let go of beloved lines or metaphors, but that is what "revising" or "seeing with new eyes" demands.


Cameo-021612_05


You have to know what to let go of and what to keep, like this thrifted Young Camel satchel which I bought for P700 but have spent more than P2,000 on for repair and maintenance.


Cameo-021612_06


Same goes for these Marlboro Classics laceups, which have been reconditioned dozens of times and now need to be redyed.


Cameo-021612_07


Guess I stick to the things that I love. Then again, as with art and poetry, totally different ways of seeing are necessary. Maybe that's why I got this jacket. But more on Rick Owens next time.

No comments: