Monday, March 19, 2012

Jeans, shoes, and sandalwood

Sebago-APC_01


Finally bought these navy Sebago docksides I've been eyeing for quite a while. Was a tiring day from the office and back at the stores for the third time (because idiot me forgot to jot down pullout prices).


Sebago-APC_02


When I thought things couldn't get worse, I discover that our house helper for more than two decades now washed my A.P.C. New Standards.


Sebago-APC_03


I could just go crazy. Yesterday the barber discovered a small bald spot while he was giving me a haircut. He said it was probably caused by stress. Now he sounds like a prophet.


Sebago-APC_04


So all that talk about washing your NS (yes, fans love their raw denim that much) only after at least six months or even a year or more in order to leave your own personal mark (stains, rips, and creases) is now gone. The jeans have shrunk and the thread is not the same — but without the benefit of any real wear. They just look old, a little like my navy Gap pair after six months of washing. (Though I was really also planning to get the Petite Standards. Then maybe I can compare methods...)


Sebago-APC_05


Talk about Mercury in Gatorade (my version). I swear I also had a similar string of disasters last year (should I now believe in astrology?), now replaced by my iPhone theft, my unbelievable phone bill, and the job I didn't get. Nowhere but up, right?


Sebago-APC_06


I forgot to show you the bottle I bought with the A.P.C.s: a fine fabric care solution for non-detergent washing, which containts lemon and cedarwood. Smells good and can also be used to wash wool (not that I have lots of that). Ironic?


Sebago-APC_07


But the real dilemma that has again tied me in knots is my first and real career, which is asking, entreating, demanding that I spend more time on it, ie at least four hours each day. Call it universal feng shui: all the bad things will stop happening once I let things flow properly. Aye, there's the rub.


Sebago-APC_08


Maybe I'll be gone a little longer, maybe I'll be back tomorrow. But know this, care of A.P.C., Aesop, and William Blake (see the bottle quote): "You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough." Or from me: "Better out of sight and out of mind than out of my mind".

No comments: