Monday, December 23, 2013

Gray areas, part 1: Work

Gray_Work_01

An old friend who claimed he knew how to read palms said that he could tell from my lines that I was the type to mark out the black and white in things: the right from wrong, the good from bad. I certainly was aware of them, but that didn't mean that each time I wouldn't take the plunge in the murky gray in-betweens. So here is a series made up of four parts (tentatively: Work, Weekend, Wile, Want), which as I am writing this makes sense as the four great oceans of gray that I have been swimming in. 


Every time I finish work at the office I tell myself: now the real work begins. Every time I turn that key, I expect to hear wings.


Gray_Work_02

But as a writer (I still not dare call myself a "poet") with a day job and lots of time in my hands, I have only drifted further and further way. At the very least, this blog helps me keep my grounding.


Gray_Work_03

I have run to one distraction after another, abandoning each like a suspect from a crime scene.


Gray_Work_04

It got worse and worse until at one point my day job became the deer facing the headlights.


Gray_Work_05

Good thing I had the sense to run away.


Cardigan, Topman
Shirt, Muji
Trousers, Muji
Belt, A.P.C.
Lace-ups, Doc Martens
Tie, thrifted
Socks, Uniqlo
Briefcase, Bally


Gray_Work_06

Fortunately or unfortunately, running away is something I've become very good at.


Gray_Work_07

Every time I look back, all I see are tracks. (Now that I think of it, couldn't I see myself as an over-indulgent journalist hungry for material?)


Gray_Work_08

It is quite impossible to answer that question. Too many things after the fact. Everything is work, and all toil keeps the ball rolling (or the broth boiling).


Gray_Work_09

Important thing is I'm still here and so are you.


Photography by Jullian Mendoza


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

another awesome series making me excited for the next parts.