Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Inside out

Cameo-031714_01

Oh, afternoons! Who doesn’t want to bask in the most flattering light the day can offer? For me, it’s always been a dance between light and shadow, the last joyous part of day when possibility still appears limitless. (Translated: when there’s still time to tick off whatever’s left in your To Do list.)


Cameo-031714_02

For beer drinkers, when light has exhausted itself and labour has exhausted the worker, it is time to turn to the golden liquid bubbling from an amber bottle.


Cameo-031714_03

If only I’d formed the habit! Fortunately, or unfortunately, I still prefer to turn to my coffee.


Cameo-031714_04

Afternoons for me (well at least weekend afternoons – these pictures were taken yesterday, Mondays are usually traded for Sunday work), require caffeine doses to pump me up.


Cameo-031714_05

Inside-out print shirt, Izzue, thrifted
Shorts, Lee, DIY (cut from jeans)
Belt, Arnold Palmer, thrifted
Sunglasses, thrift find from Chatuchak market
Deck shoes (below), Sebago


Cameo-031714_06

Weekend afternoons I turn to my black beverage so I can pay more attention to a novel’s unfolding plot, or in this case, notice the bee that has just decided to drop on my neck.


Cameo-031714_07

Or to rack my brain, to stimulate metaphors to bubble to the surface while writing. So I can look at them at length, and from various removes and distances.


Cameo-031714_08

If only I can organize all the leaves that have fallen – harder to study under the dappled light. No matter how many hours the cold coffee I drink (this one from Yardstick) has steeped, such matters remain difficult, if not fortuitous.


Cameo-031714_09

Yesterday afternoon I spent beside the man I love, re-watching The Devil Wears Prada, which helped him to get out of his apartment, and me to pick out (for the first time) something for him to wear to work last night.


Cameo-031714_10

This close-up was Ate Lalin’s idea – sorry for my pores and pock marks. But at least you can better see my summer haircut (cut in such a way to let the top grow out).


Cameo-031714_11

The other night, I learned that I really shouldn’t attend drinking sessions because of my temper.


Cameo-031714_12

More sober, and after a bit of time and distance, I realized that I really am better left just to my coffee and that I couldn’t do without JV. And that, ladies and gentlemen, wraps up my extended weekend, more or less.


No comments: