Saturday, April 5, 2014

Gray matters

Cameo-040414_01

Meant to post this yesterday (Friday), but I got so worked up researching (and subsequently writing) about a series of seemingly harmless pictures of the backside of a Makati building, namely Insular Life. (See Draft of Shadows)

But before I lose you to my architectural and history-based rambling, just wanted to show you what I wore to work yesterday morning.


Cameo-040414_02

I think this is the first time (if I’m not mistaken) I’ve had clear 360-degree pictures of the oversize striped/plain t-shirt I bought from Don Protasio, a Filipino designer based in Cambodia.


Cameo-040414_03

I love the light cotton and design (you’ll see the t-shirt’s back in a bit), though being a shortie, I’m not too confident about wearing tops bigger than my usual size.


Cameo-040414_04

Can you see how the scarf gives the illusion that I am taller?

T-shirt, Don Protasio
Jeans, Two Percent
Sandals, Kickers, thrifted
Belt from Divisoria
Shirt worn as jacket (below), Esprit
Scarf, thrifted (I think, not sure)


Cameo-040414_05

Pardon the creases. I love how the two stripe patterns alternate. Given that I want my hands free and articles of clothing, I tie what is not of immediate use around my waist. (Like a ninja!)


Cameo-040414_06

Though I bought this pair a long time ago, woven leather done in a nice way (thicker strips for menswear), always has a place in my sartorial heart.


Cameo-040414_07

Yesterday morning, I wasn’t sure which article (scarf or shirt worn as jacket) I would bring for the cold of the office. I think this thickish shirt is made of a cotton-polyester blend. (Its thickness lends it shape that gives me license to wear it as a jacket.)


Cameo-040414_08

Here worn like an apron around my waist. (I know: bad posture.)


Cameo-040414_09

Not sure what the arm pocket is for (never used it), but it won’t be hard imagining a lighter piece with two more pockets as a safari jacket.


Cameo-040414_10

Less creases! (And time for another haircut.) The yellowish stripes remind me of pad paper.


Cameo-040414_11

About the title, “gray matters”: ah, now you can read about my musings on my visual diary. My point is, no matter how hard I try to remain boring and neutral (gray, beige, etc), things always unfold themselves to me in stark black and white.


Cameo-040414_12

Like the shadows of leaves, and skin between the gaps of woven leather, things only seem vague from afar. Up close, they are crisp.


No comments: