Saturday, July 12, 2014

Checkereds and florals

Cameo-071214_01

So I’ve finally come out of my cave and checked out the Spring 2014 sales at the nearby commercial center. And what do I see besides Hawaiian prints with hibiscus, giant palm fronds, and pelicans? Naked women, of course.





Cameo-071214_02

Am not joking. See for yourself on my Instagram snap, avocado dessert buyer’s own. Wasn’t surprised that much of the surfer-inspired prints on jackets, shorts, jeans, and shirts have already been swept off by eager buyers. Though I didn’t expect the racy red women on leaves. Now you now how I navigate sales.


Cameo-071214_03

Interesting that as I flew like a bee, attracted by colors and red-letter signs plastered on windows, I noticed that what I would usually grab from the racks (lest some other eager buyer run off with them off to the counter), suddenly had no appeal for me: the usual stripes, the preppy checks, the blues and grays and blacks.


Cameo-071214_04

I guess it was my subconscious reminding me that I already had enough of such stuff in my closet. And all along I thought I would be the type to ascribe to a look or a uniform as I grew older. I guess I just grew bored.


Cameo-071214_05

Mind you, years and years ago, I wouldn’t think I’d even like floral-printed jeans (there’s just too much loud print!)


Cameo-071214_06

But here I was wearing my flood-DIY tie-dyed jeans (read: flood water did the work, not me) to work and to the stores right after. Matched with floral printed sneakers to boot!


Cameo-071214_08

Of course, I toned the prints down with so much blue. And a brown beanie! But still, something is amiss.


Cameo-071214_09

Should I consult the contours on my jeans? Submit them to Mr. Rorschach?


Cameo-071214_07

Will I grow up (not that I’m fully grown already) to look like a misguided tourist? Or worse, a devil-may-care andropausal animal? Nah! I think it’s just time that all the shapes of my personality came out to join the patterns: like a grid of longitudes and latitudes over an ever-changing topography. At least we've outgrown Pangea!


Jacket, Iñigo Jones, thrifted
Shirt, Biem, thrifted
Jeans, Guess, DIY
Sneakers, Convers, thrifted
Socks, Uniqlo
Beanie, I forgot (really!)


No comments: