Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Apartment, part 1

MyApt_part1_01

I’ve been meaning to visit MY APT at LRI for a long time already. Actually, I wanted to drop by as soon as it opened. So why didn’t I? It wasn’t just because I didn’t want to be lost in the thick of the crowd, though I really didn’t – I wanted to explore the place and its wares, and if possible, with only me at the store. That way it would be easier to enjoy the craft behind the products and, of course, easier to take pictures of the interiors. What I was more afraid of – actually, what I dreaded – was that, first, besides lusting for most of the objects on sale (most of which I couldn’t afford) and dreaming of similar things in my own fictitious future pad, I was afraid of an impending and long overdue realization. Nay, epiphany.

You see, the idea of studying design (be it architecture, interiors, industrial/product development, and even for photography and jewelry) has gone through my mind many times already. What has stopped me is, of course, in practical terms, I have yet to save enough to enroll myself in classes. And with all the things I have already been juggling (even if not all profitable, but most personally rewarding), I didn’t even have the time – or I haven’t been wiling to devote time to really think things through. But anyway, more about that another time (hopefully soon). Back to MY APT, the brother lifestyle store of Heima, which is just next door at LRI. (I wrote about Heima, in Taglish, years ago on my blog for Benetton)

Why part 1? Because I arrived 10-15 minutes right before it was about to close yesterday. I haven’t been able to thoroughly explore all of its items and intend to go back for a second installment (after payday, of course). Moving on…


MyApt_part1_02

I love to read. Not just to look at pictures, but read novels, poetry, sometimes memoirs (just finished Grace Coddington’s!). Definitely well-written articles about not just fashion, menswear, and lifestyle, but almost anything under the sun that interests me (my Pocket, formerly Read It Later, backlog is piling up!). Mostly I’ve done my reading in bed, on a pile of pillows, while sipping coffee placed on one of the shelves beside me in my cluttered bedroom. I have long dreamed of finding a good leather and wooden chair, a proper one with side table and reading lamp (ottoman optional) for my readings. Easier to focus, as I disappear into another world. 

My dream chair would be something by Charles and Ray Eames (dreaming is the first step!). Perhaps the 670 Lounge Chair (1958) with ottoman or the blue 1957 Herman Miller plastic seat – anything that will keep me upright stylishly supported while I read. This blue fully-upholstered club chair with tufted leather will also do the job just right. Though I would skip the skulls on the tips of the armrest (the chair is available custom-made) – or have them in a different color – I love that the seat is in tanguile wood. Without an ottoman, a pillow in distressed fabric by MY APT would be a good replacement.


MyApt_part1_03

Aye, there’s the rub: “unique solutions for the modern gentleman’s dwelling”. If only MY APT new all my interiors-related problems!


MyApt_part1_04

I also love their Blake Wingback Chair. You know, the problem with getting one piece of furniture from one place you love is likewise yearning for their other pieces. Like Calvin’s Chest of Drawers, also in tanguile, shown beside the chair above. But I doubt it would hold all my shirts that don’t need to be hung. Not to mention my socks, handkerchiefs, and drawers (ie underwear).



MyApt_part1_05

Placing neon has a charming touch (shown here: the H Neon light), though it would be a tad impersonal for me. (Let’s not start with my dislike for works by Tracey Emin.) A proper floor lamp would be better. Lovely peacock chair as well. And frames! I have long wanted to print many of the picture I have personally taken and posted on Draft of Shadows, my visual diary.


MyApt_part1_06

Of course, who doesn’t need more shelves, especially if they’re on wheels! (Easier for redecorating.) As for the topic of turntables, I won’t deny the idea of getting one hasn’t crossed my mind either. I remember as a child, my grandfather would play standards every Sunday on his very old set, which was as big as a medium refrigerator (on its side). Also, my grandmother and mom’s family have kept all sorts of titles in their provincial home that I am interested to check. Again, buying one would trigger the beginning of the end, or more positively, the start of accumulation for my very own collection (and a small section of my future “man cave” – as distasteful as that may sound). MY APT set, a Crosley Spinnerette USB Turntable looks spiffy.


MyApt_part1_07

I think it is better that this haphazardly taken picture looks blurry – clarity to follow in the near future! But aside from vinyl records sold in from of the counter, there is also coffee (another project I have yet to devote more time to, after taking classes at Yardstick) and interesting-looking cataloguish posters. The one on the right also about coffee, entitled “The Compendious Coffee Chart”. (I’d also want to get a poster labelled “Exceptional Expressions of Espresso”. And maybe frame them and hang them somewhere above my future coffee table.


MyApt_part1_08

I love the tan leather on this Polaroid contraption, though I’d prioritize taking pictures on film and studying how to develop them. (My dad used to have his own dark room.)


MyApt_part1_09

If bar stool, I’d probably use them as coffee table since we don’t have a bar. Neither do I drink. The Lincoln Coat Rack looks particularly useful. I currently use a cast-iron candelabra as a bag holder.


MyApt_part1_10

Leeroy New's snakey Polyp Droplight I’m not much a fan of, though the design is admirable. I prefer something with more metal. Or even lots of paper!


MyApt_part1_11

If I’m not mistaken, the chair on the left is the Blake Desk Chair, also in tanguile and comes with fully-upholstered seat and backrest.


MyApt_part1_12

As I was saying, frames! Besides framing what I myself have made or taken, am not sure if I’ll hang anything else in my future man cave. I say hang because I’m not entirely convinced that putting them on the floor is advisable for someone as clumsy as me.


MyApt_part1_13

Here comes the magazines! Got one issue of Cereal (the second row behind) and plan to buy the rest of the back issues when I can. The selection is drool-worthy, with my favorite Fantastic Man and other notable titles such as Frankie and Apartamento (not shown).


MyApt_part1_14

More posters: on guitars ("A Visual Compendium of Guitars")and sneakers. I love the Atari prints on one of the throw pillows.


MyApt_part1_15

For Wes Anderson fans. Flipped through the Mr Porter handbooks and was disappointed. Might as well been title Menswear for Clueless Dummies. (Though I suppose many straight men in Manila have lots of catching up to do.)


MyApt_part1_16

Plants! I plan on getting one or two succulents to clean the air in my room, though I don’t greenery to overcome it. (Everybody else says my room is stuffy except me!)


MyApt_part1_17

Yes, more coffee please! As I need to rush to work in a little bit, And to more work as I return home tonight. Though I’d get this neon sign if it were on sale. Very me and unpretentious.


MyApt_part1_18

See you again very very soon, MY APT! Hopefully I’ll be carrying a wad of bills in my distressed denim pocket.


No comments: