Sunday, January 25, 2015

Postcards from Vigan, part 2: Bantay Church Bell Tower

Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_01

Just as I did with my first Vigan installment, am now writing this as my relatives and I wait for a cab – but this time back to Manila from Bangkok. Pictured here are lamps, old wooden furniture, and mirrors at Grandpa’s Inn. The place we stayed at. You can view more pictures of Grandpa’s Inn on my visual diary.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_02

The inn is full of sentimental memorabilia, even period costume framed in wood. As most houses in the Philippines are filled with.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_03

Am writing about our first morning at Vigan City, best-known for its Unesco Heritage Site, Calle Crisologo, a cobble-stoned street of Spanish-era ancestral houses. (Will post more about period architecture by and by.)


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_04

So I guess it’s obvious from this pic that I just woke up. The boyfie insisted that we take pictures even before we took a shower. I happily obliged.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_05

The details of the street lamps and the windows are only evident during the day.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_06

Perpendicular and adjoining streets have been paved with cement and not cobbled, hence the sign.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_07

The best way to get around and view the sights would be by the traditional way of horse-drawn callesa.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_08

Crisologo Street are lined with these heavy wooden seats on wheels, sans horse.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_09

So here we go.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_10

First off is Saint Augustine Parish Church, commonly known as Bantay Church, named after the area.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_11

On the way there, we passed by a bride and this magnificent view.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_12

Must admit that I’m still a bit sleepy while writing this, again caught in between time zones. But as I say, memory is sweeter recalled.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_13

Before we proceed with Bantay Church’s bell tower, a little interlude.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_14

Entreprenurial folk sell bird feed for P20. Watch the pigeons swoop.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_15

Last time I fed pigeons was in Piazza San Marco, Venice.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_16

It was loads of fun.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_17

Though I must admit, I was afraid of poop half of the time.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_18

This friendly fellow has low EQ.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_19

Good thing they didn’t bite off the Bosquejo bracelets I made for JV.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_20

Feeling inspired and blessed?


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_21

I do with this fellow here, but enough of the cheese.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_22

I love how the red brick appears starkly against the pollution-less blue sky.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_23

The callesa driver told us that egg white was used to bind the bricks together, though it looks like cement to me.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_24

Maybe a mixture of things in between restorations.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_25

So up we go: here are the bells. (View larger pics of the Bantay Church bell tower on my visual diary.)


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_26

No Quasimodo here.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_27

I hope they hadn’t painted the bells and left the natural color. Would be better to see the stains of rust and patina.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_28

Can’t wait to see this bugger in a bit. 


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_29

Part of the view from the belfry is a cemetery.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_30



Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_31

Can’t wait to share more pics from Vigan.


Henley, Zara
T-shirt, Izzue
Shorts, Topman
Sneakers, Generic Surplus
Belt, A.P.C.


Postcards-from-Vigan_part-2_32

Sheesh, I haven’t even downloaded pics from Bangkok. But as an earlier sign cautioned: “pass slowly”. Savor every memory.


No comments: