Friday, September 18, 2015

Boss Made to Measure

Boss-Made-to-Measure_01

Because of my grandfather, and in no small part due to all the John Grisham novels I read in elementary, my first ambition in life was to be a lawyer. If I hadn’t been bit by the literary bug, I would probably be fulfilling my fantasy, complete with pinstripe suits and knit ties.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_02

Truth be told, I did work for a bank for my first year of employment. Needless to say it didn’t last: my collars felt tighter than leashes.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_03

Care to preen in a a bespoke suit and coat? Stare down the competition with sartorial savvy?


Boss-Made-to-Measure_04

I did go through a neck tie phase, even for the first few years in my work with a newspaper – even if the country manager didn’t care to put on one daily.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_05

It was a lesson in discipline. Nowadays I wear a different armor.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_06

Still always carry a handkerchief in my pocket daily, of course: a requirement for a gentleman. Couldn’t be bothered with pocket squares, though.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_07

Oh, but to engage with the fabric of life, in its varying knits, textures, and cotton counts!


Boss-Made-to-Measure_08

Even during the time I worked for magazines, I never took on the challenge of wearing a suit for a week. Not even just blazers. It just wasn’t practical.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_09

Though I read somewhere (on LinkedIn I think), that the reason office air conditioning is cranked up to polar temperatures is so that men can wear their jackets – even in the tropics!


Boss-Made-to-Measure_10

Makes sense. Though I think even if you don’t report for work dressy each day, you should always shine like a pretty penny – or a mother of pearl button for that matter.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_11

Casual moods are more inviting for various tapestries of possibilities.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_12

Which is not to say that daily routines don’t have their way of straightening people up.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_13

Clean uniforms free the mind to focus its energy on being creative.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_14

Even in black in white or while wearing tuxes.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_15

Though the world needs more of its geniuses working in different industries.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_16

The human race must leave its mark in a different way.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_17

Work shouldn’t sacrifice dreams.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_18

I left my racks of illusion a long time ago.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_19

Unbuttoned my cuffs.


Boss-Made-to-Measure_20

Even if I still wear dark shadows as coats.


No comments: